Sunday, December 30, 2007

Disagree with me and my douchey list!

Dear Blog,

Top 10 Albums of 2007

Keep in mind that I only take into account albums I have heard. Also, that I am an extremely biased and opinionated asshole. Czech it out (I'm a douche)!

10. Icky Thump - The White Stripes

This is here because I genuinely couldn't think of a tenth album. Also, the title track and Rag & Bone is some of their best material. The rest of the album just doesn't feel right to me. They're trying to hard where it used to be effortless and where Jack used to sing the truth, now he just seems wordy and confused. Find your muse Jack! Hint: It's not Karen Elson.

9. In Rainbows - Radiohead

I've heard maybe one full minute of this album. It's mostly here to give my list some indie cred. Maybe now indie chicks will dig me? In short, I haven't heard much but I liked what I heard and it might be good. Another supplement due to my lack of diversifying enough to actually have listened to ten albums that came out this year.

8. Wincing the Night Away - The Shins

At first I though the Shins had dropped the ball on this one. That they had already made something too muddled up and inconsistent, so early in their career. But, I was wrong. If you spend some time with this one it really grows on you. The turns of phrase and some of the gusto and energy on this record can really blow you away. It's a wild ride. Note: Seeing it performed live also did wonders for me.

7. Bishop Allen & The Broken String - Bishop Allen

As a band, Bishop Allen would rank above some of the artists that are above them on this list. However, as an album, this is a pretty weak attempt. Don't get me wrong, it's still absolutely fabulous. But, it's made up mostly of re-recorded tracks from the marvelous month EP's and the few new tracks are no big deal. Mind you, these songs didn't need to be re-recorded and the studio polish, additional instruments, and polished vocals seems out of place with these songs. It may just be because I fell in love with their earlier versions first but I feel like Bishop Allen should have left well enough alone and waited to record a whole album of new material. Still, when you get right down to it, they are amazing songs. That's just it.

6. Night Falls Over Kortedala - Jens Lekman

Jens Lekman is so charming. If I had a daughter, he could totally date her. I would have them over to my house and Jens and I could play cards, sit, and chat. Jens' music is just as charming as he looks. This Swede brings the classy tunes and a voice that breaks my heart but commands my attention. The songs are so catchy that you don't realize they're brilliant until after a few play throughs.

5. The Stage Names - Okkervil River

The first song on this album sold me entirely. It resonates right there with me. That being said, it's a fantastic album, with the sharpest lyrics that you could never think of. Okkervil River is one of those bands that is so brilliant that you can't listen and think "I could've written that." Because, you certainly could not have. It blows me down even when I have no idea what's happening.

4. The Shepherd's Dog - Iron & Wine

Sam Beam totally delivers on the promise he has showed in all of his past releases, which were brilliant in their own right. But, here Beam elaborates on so many themes and let's a sharp production value guide him to heights he has never soared too. He was meant for these sharp and focused tunes. It breathes his whole power right into you in a soulful yet effortless manner. Great driving music.

3. Neon Bible - Arcade Fire

I have to admit, I listen to some of these other albums a lot more than this one. But, you cannot deny the power and brilliance of Arcade Fire. There is not a bad song on the album and they are all brilliantly arranged and meant to blow your heart right out of your body. Probably the best record of '07 but, my favoritism and personal bias figures it down to third.

2. Reunion Tour - The Weakerthans

Lyrically brilliant, The Weakerthans never miss a step. These songs are so poignant that they ache to be memorized and played over and over again. Also, you can totally turn it up and rock out. It's so much fun but at the same time it's depressing and awkwardly filled with truth. Stories of the working class never sounded so good!

1. Emerald City - John Vanderslice

One of the best records to listen to with your headphones on. JV and Scott Solter know their goddamn analog recording. This record sounds sharp and every second is meticulously crafted to sound just like they wanted it to. The album rolls along like a steam train pouring out strange and beautiful poetry. Kookaburra is the best opening track of any album, ever. How you get acoustic guitars to sound like that is beyond me. To all the critics that complained about JV making another album fixating on 9/11: Fuck you guys. Everyone is still fucking fixated on it. Whether it's conspiracy theorists or the governments or anyone. It hasn't gone away. It's not like the record even shoves it in your face. It's still a relevant theme to elaborate on the political climate of fear. FUCK YOU PITCHFORK!!!

Thanks for reading gang. Hope you enjoyed my outright opinions on what is sure to be the most egotistical top 10 of 2007.

Yours,
B Morgz

No comments: