Thursday, December 25, 2008

I sold out kid, they got me

When feeling like I was gonna go insane
It got just a little too inane
So, I opened up the windows and a hornet crept in
Over heads and shawls like a brand new sin
And we labeled it such and shamed it so
But I stole it away and kept it in a corner in a jar
I put bright red rocketship stickers on that jar

When everyone else found that hornet jar
Well, I mean, all I can say is that they were pretty pissed
I was pissed too because I could've hid it better
So I kept feeling like I was going insane
Doing one man shows in a little Soho theatre
Convincing everyone else of what I already knew
It eventually made me question my own reality

So I just sat smoking outside the Soho Theatre
For five years and a board next to me said, "The Smoker"
And, ladies and gentlemen, that's who I really was
I put all my effort into that character and
My lungs really nailed that part down, damn near coffin nails
If my friends were still angry well I hardly noticed
But I met a young lady who put lipstick on it all

I can't smoke my goddamn cigs with lipstick on them!
I just can't do it right now and I'll tell you why right now
Because right back then she would stand there
I caught her like another dirty fly in paper and
She would light up the cigs each day and take the first drag
I found lipstick flakes in my lungs ten years later
The doctor was so sorry that he gave me his daughter's number

On Sundays she wouldn't come and chill with me
She was out at churches yelling curse words for her dead pap
Her pap was a killer and i never envied her there
Mostly I just liked having someone to smoke with
We talked about Dylan sometimes, when it didn't feel faggy
But one day I went on a little too long
She went her way and I went mine, nothing most likely about it

This really bowled me over though, living this cliche
So I bought a house in the suburbs
Started beating a woman I don't know and drinking
Slapping kids that aren't even mine
But cardboard cutouts don't hold out forever
I hawked them for some whiskey and moved back
Back in with my friends, who hated the hornets

My hornet hating friends had gone all over the place
But everyone was still bastards so it was cool
I wrote a memoir and a play and a TV pilot
But it all came up shit and that was it
I titled it "Hornet Stories" and felt bad for a bit
Now I ring my bell for your golden ear
I sold out kid, they got me

No comments: