Monday, April 28, 2008

Lost and Confused in a Borneo Churchyard

The night is alive with heat
Snapping at my ears
Its winged voices: flustered and red
I go to sleep drenched
Wake up in my morning dew
Yelling for anyman to leech me
If anything at all will help

Sometimes, in the dense tropical
I remember things that never happened
Your lips on my lips
Like puzzle pieces finally
Instead of terse-lipped rabbit hunts
The subtle king and queen of rock 'n roll
Hiding bottles like whispered prayers
And touch the blazing, holy chariot
Come to take me away at last
For I have predicted heaven down
Right down onto mine own deserving self
So now it must come to be partial
I know I read that somewhere a long time ago!!!

Tense sheets twist alive
Wringing fresh sweat
Into my dry canyon mouth
Calling out for anything but water
Something so new
That the calm is refreshing
Pull the shades

Back to the overgrown trail
Cutting down stereo noises
And all the native's uncomfortable frowns
So that dreams can bud out
Spreading like a fire weed
Twisting on my ankles
Gripping up my legs
To hug my weak thighs
I writhe in a flash of white
Tripping into a mud pit (like a volunteer fireman)
Spend all day getting clean
Hoping that next time
Someone else falls in with me

No comments: